What is Laser Skin Rejuvenation?
Laser Skin Rejuvenation is a facial resurfacing procedure which uses short, direct, concentrated beams of light to improve the appearance of the skin. This laser energy, by penetrating deep into the skin, encourages collagen and elastin production to boost cell regeneration in order to reduce the effects of aging.
What Does Laser Rejuvenation Treat?
- Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth and cheeks
- Sun damaged skin
- Acne scars
- Melasma, pigmentation and brown spots
- Loss of elasticity and sagging skin
- Improve loss of skin tone and irregularities
Our Epilium London Laser Procedures
In our London clinic, we promote overall skin rejuvenation with our non-ablative lasers: Nd:YAG and Picosure (both devices from Cynosure). These are two different techniques to improve skin tone and reduce lines and wrinkles and smooth pigmentation with minimal recovery time.
While Nd:YAG creates beams of thermal energy, Picosure makes a series of pinpoint micro-incisions into the skin. Both of them stimulate the skin’s natural defence reaction, which then promotes the production of new collagen and elastin fibers.
Skin Rejuvenation with PicoSure Laser
Skin rejuvenation with Picosure is the latest and most innovative in the aesthetic laser industry. It has revolutionized the photo rejuvenation and skin imperfections treatments.
Traditional skin rejuvenation laser treatments use photothermal action (heat). Skin rejuvenation with Picosure, on the other hand, uses ultra-short pulses to create a photomechanical effect, known as PressureWave. This creates shockwaves in the dermis which encourages the production of new collagen and elastin without damaging the skin. Picosure can help repair damage done to your face from sun damage. It can also help reduce fine lines, and acne scars.
Benefits of Skin Rejuvenation with Picosure Laser
- Removal of skin imperfections such as age spots, melasma, pigmented lesions and also freckles. The pulse breaks the pigment particles which make age spots. Allowing your body to naturally absorb them. Therefore, resulting in the elimination of these age spots, pigments or melasmas.
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles for a youthful appearance. By stimulating the natural healing process of your skin, your body will produce more collagen and elastin. Your skin will become firmer and smoother.
- Reduce scars on both face and body
- Skin tightening
Laser Genesis with Nd:YAG
Laser Genesis with Nd:YAG is a non-invasive and non-ablative laser treatment designed to improve skin texture, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, remove acne scars, and reduce redness and rosacea.
The Nd:YAG laser acts by gently heating the upper dermis of your skin. Once a certain temperature is reached, the skin tissues respond by stimulating collagen growth and cellular renewal. This technique reduce the effects of aging as it tighten underlying skin.
Warmth from the laser beam will also have an exfoliating effect on the upper layer of the epidermis and help shed dead cells. By breaking the superficial pigmentation, your skin tone will be more even.
How many treatments are necessary?
For both lasers, you may require an average of 3 to 6 treatments spaced around a month apart for the best results. As every patient condition is different, our medical staff will recommend the necessary number of sessions. Results are subtle after the first session, but the overall effect after several sessions will be more consistent. Benefits continue to increase in intensity by the number of treatments received. Because collagen will be produced long after each treatment, most patients will continue to see benefits for some time after these have been completed.
After the Treatments
- Most patients report a few side effects and are able to return immediately to their daily activities.
- The most common side effect is slight redness which disappears with a few hours of treatment.
- The treatment causes mild discomfort, but the pain is relieved with the cooling air system.
- The effects of the laser continues to stimulate the skin months after the treatment.
- Unlike peels, laser rejuvenation does not peel the skin after a session.
- The treatment can be combined with Dermapen or dermal fillers for a complete series of aesthetic therapies.
Contraindications and Risks
Skin rejuvenation with the Picosure Laser is safe; however, we strongly discourage the treatment while you are exposing yourself to the sun or artificial tanning and/or if you are currently, or plan to be, pregnant.
We advise not to expose the treated area to the sun (minimum 2 months without exposure before the session). Furthermore, we advise you apply UV protection 8 weeks before, and 2 to 3 weeks after a session. In addition, avoid self-tanning creams to avoid any risk of burns.
It is essential to inform your practitioner about any medication you are on before a session because the medication may cause sensitivity to your skin. Furthermore it may react with a laser. However, we are able to adapt or delay the treatment (e.g. anti-acne, antibiotics, etc.).
We advise to avoid these products on the areas of treatment before a session, the day of the appointment. Other cases not recommended:
- Diabetes (insulin-dependent)
- AIDS, hepatitis B or C
- Allergy to the products used (inks, pigments, etc.)
- Keloid scars