What is liposuction surgery?
Liposuction is a surgical cosmetic procedure done by our highly experienced plastic surgeons Dr Lemierre and Dr Dumas in our London clinic. This surgery removes areas of stubborn fat from areas of the body that haven’t responded to diet and exercises. The lipo procedure improves and reshapes almost any area of the body, such as the chin, arms, tummy, tuck, belly or thighs. Liposuction also allows redrawing the body contours.
This procedure is not a weight loss alternative. You may be a good candidate if you are not overweight but have fat in specific localized areas.
It is important to know that liposuction reduces the number of fat cells by destroying them. These cells will not come back in the area if your weight remains stable.
The surgery is suitable either for men or women. The approach on men and women is different because, according to the sex of the patient, the fat is distributed differently in the body.
Liposuction for Woman
Women have a body shape called “gynoid”. The curves are mostly located in the lower part of the body; the hips, the saddlebags, the top of the inner thighs, the buttocks and thighs. After menopause, women also begin to store fat on the upper body, mainly in the stomach and the back.
The Liposuction procedure
The surgery can be performed under local anesthesia or intravenous sedation in our CQC-registered clinic for people who have slight fat excess on one, or two targeted areas. However, it is important to note that beyond a certain amount of fat, we would recommend the patient to have the surgery under general anaesthesia. With general anaesthesia, patients usually spend one night at the clinic.
Our surgeons Dr Lemierre and Dr Dumas will recommend the most appropriate anesthesia method for your needs. The procedure can last one hour if you just do a chin liposuction or arm liposuction. It can be extended to two or three hours in cases of stomach liposuction, thigh or multi-area liposuction.
Before anesthesia, the surgeon will mark the area to be treated with a special pen before starting the procedure. This procedure uses a suction technique to remove fat from specific areas of the body such as abdomen, hips, thighs, and buttocks. Very small incisions in the natural folds of the skin are then performed to insert a small tube to target the fat layer beneath. The fat is then suctioned out. The incisions are then closed with a resorbable thread and covered with a bandage. Slight liposuction scars may appear after the procedure but will disappear with the time.
Lipostructure is the best way to remove excess deposits of fat and to sculpt and improve a beautiful natural contour of the body.
Liposuction for different parts of the body
Liposuction has varying different effects on different parts of the body.
- Source fat is preferably located in the double chin, cheeks, jowls and neck. With this procedure the features of the face are refined, and the profile is defined and the person seems immediately rejuvenated.
- The skin of the arms is very delicate. With age, the skin loses its elasticity, especially in women. It is important to avoid removing too much fat in this area which may result in increasing sagging skin.
- Love handles are one of the most common areas treated because the fat is very difficult to shift in this area. To completely refine the waist the surgeon has to treat at the same time as the hips, the tummy and the side of the back. The hips are easy to treat because the skin is thick and retracts itself very easily.
- The tummy
- This procedure sucks only the subcutaneous fat (the fat that is on the surface) and is not suitable for removing the visceral fat that is located around the organs of the abdomen.
- Liposuction of the buttocks removes fat for overly sized or sagging buttocks, to redraw its shape, or remove the banana roll located just under the fold of the buttocks.
- Liposuction of the legs treats the thighs, knees and ankles at once to restore definition and elegance to the lower part of the body.
- Liposuction of the thighs removes the saddlebags which have the appearance of a ball of fat and to thin the inside of the thighs.
- The bump of the inner side of the knee gives the leg a heavy and ungainly appearance. Liposuction of the knees is a very efficient procedure because the skin is very resistant and undistorted.
- Liposuction of the calves is a precision procedure. On the calves, the layer of fat is very thin, and the surgeon must take extra care to suck the fat gently. However, if the density of the calves are primarily muscles the surgery is not suitable.
How much does liposuction cost?
Price of liposuction is an important factor when considering the surgery. The cost depends on many factors:
- how many areas do you want to be treated
- how long is the surgery
- will it be under local or general anesthesia
The most important is the skill and experience of an aesthetic surgeon performing lipostructure. This will make the biggest difference in your results.
Liposuction together with other surgery
Liposuction can effectively be done together with other plastic surgeries.
You can benefit from a general anesthesia to combine lipo with facelifts, breast surgery or tummy tuck.
Also, the new natural technique we consider to be the best way to refine the shape of any area of the body is fat transfer. Don’t throw out your fat, use it to fill your wrinkles or your breasts, or graft it into your scalp if you are suffering from hair loss.
Advantages of Liposuction
Here are some of the advantages of having a liposuction procedure:
- The result of a liposuction is definitive.
- Visible result immediately after the surgery. The outcome is optimal after three to six months when the skin retracts itself.
- The success of liposuction depends on the quality of the skin: the thicker and more toner the skin, the better the result.
Discomfort and bruises are present the first week after the procedure
- The patient will have to wear undergarments adapted to their body type in order to prevent any swelling. Swelling should diminish in a month and completely disappear after three months.
- Bruising should disappear within 10 to 20 days after the operation.
- No bath before 8 days.
- Patients will have to wait 4 to 7 days before resuming to normal life activities and stop any sport for 1 month.
- No sun or UV rays in the treated area for 1 month after the surgery.
What are alternatives to liposuction?
One great alternative to liposuction is Coolsculpting which is a fat freezing procedure. Both of these treatments permanently destroy fat cells from targeted areas. Coolsculpting is a non-invasive procedure, versus lipo which requires anesthesia. Coolsculpting could be a good liposuction alternative in case you suffer from heart problems or blood clotting.
Who performs liposuction at Epilium & Skin London?
Be aware that not anyone can perform this fat removal surgery. In our Clinic, the surgery is performed by Dr Lemierre or Dr Dumas, both of whom have a cosmetic surgery specification and are GMC registered with this speciality. They are highly experienced and regularly perform lipo for our patients as proportions and contour are fundamental elements of an attractive human form.
We highly recommend you to have a consultation with our experienced plastic surgeons Dr Lemierre or Dr Dumas who are skilled at both Liposuction and Coolsculpting. This will help you to make the best decision for you.