Legs Therapy for Varicose and Spider Veins
Epilium & Skin is delighted to have Dr. Jean-Marc Chardonneau as part of our esteemed team as a visiting Surgeon. As a vascular specialist by training, Dr. Chardonneau is a world leader in leg aesthetics.
What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins, also known as varicosities or varicosities, are characterized by larger blood vessels that have become swollen, twisted, or bulging. They mostly occur on the surface of the legs and ankles as standing and walking increases blood pressure in the lower part of the body. They may be blue or dark purple and appear when the small valves inside the veins stop functioning properly. Varicose veins is a common condition affecting 20% of adults on average. Varicose veins can be painful and require treatment from a specialised phlebologist doctor.
What Are The Symptoms of Varicosities & Spider Veins?
- Veins are highly visible: dark purple or blue in color, twisted or bulging cords on your legs
- Varicose veins give the feeling of heavy legs, swollen feet and ankles
- Your legs can experience pain and/or experience muscle cramps after sitting or standing for a long time
- Swelling during periods of hot weather
If those symptoms appear, you should consult Dr Chardonneau, our phlebologist, to reduce pain and discomfort but also for cosmetic reasons.
What Causes Spider Veins?
- They increase with age and are more common in women than men
- Pregnancy, as the volume of blood in your body increases
- Being overweight is a common cause for spider veins
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
- Genetics, having a close family member with varicose veins
H2: Varicose Vein Removal
- Foam Sclerotherapy (from £700 per session): One of the most effective ways to treat varicose veins. A solution is mixed with air creating a foam which is injected into the affected vein. It then causes inflammation, pushing out any blood in the area. The vein is eventually closed off, causing it to shrink and disappear. If the vein is very deep, the doctor will employ ultrasound to guide the injection into the correct area. Foam sclerotherapy is usually carried out under local anesthetic and takes 20 minutes. Patients can go home immediately afterwards but will need to wear compression stockings for about a week.
- Phlebotherapy (from £450 a session): A brand new treatment developed by Dr. Chardonneau. This varicose vein removal procedure uses a special solution of sodium salicylate which is used to regenerate the veins, rather than cutting them off. This procedure is best for the patient’s circulation and skin.
The Varicose Vein Consultation
Before any treatment, a consultation with Dr Chardonneau is necessary. The doctor will examine your legs to diagnose varicose veins. He will use an ultrasound to check your blood flow and your deep venous network. This is a non-invasive test which uses high frequency sound waves
What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are similar to varicose veins but smaller and less severe. They get their name because they look like spider webs. They appear in the form of red or blue thin lines close to the skin surface of the legs, ankle, or face. These small twisted blood vessels are also called “thread veins”. These small damaged veins, which are usually harmless, can be treated most of the time for cosmetic reasons. They are a mild symptom of varicose veins disease.
What Can Cause Spider Veins?
Almost 50% of women experience spider veins. Here are some common causes:
- They can be the result of the leg having weaken or damaged valves in the veins
- Heredity, genetics
- A result of pregnancy which causes pressure which makes veins grow larger
What is the Treatment for Spider Veins?
- Veinwave (from £350 a session): To eradicate spider veins anywhere on the body, Epilium & Skin uses a treatment which was developed by Dr Chardonneau himself in France in 1999. It uses a process called thermocoagulation to heat and close vessels instantly. This spider veins removal procedure takes less than 15 minutes to perform. It’s safe, effective and virtually painless. Veinwave works on very tiny veins that cannot be treated with conventional laser methods that have the additional risks of burning and scarring. Veinwave causes little more than a slight redness which fades after a few hours, unlike other treatments that are not only painful but result in weeks of bruising. No bandages are required and patients can resume their normal activities immediately afterwards. Results can be seen quickly after the procedure and will continue to improve over the next few days. The treatment of spider veins with the Veinwave system is permanent.
- Microsclerotherapy (from £220 a session): This procedure uses a very fine needle, which injects a drug which causes both surface and spider veins to shrivel and disappear. The procedure takes just 20 minutes and patients will see a marked improvement after the first treatment. However, for optimal results patients will usually require an average of three sessions.
Laser therapy is another alternative varicose vein treatment that could be performed in our Epilium & Skin London clinic. It can be used in complement to sclerotherapy in order to maximize results
At your initial consultation, our Healthcare professional, Dr Chardonneau will diagnose you by closely examining the affected areas and will advise the most suitable treatment for your condition.